Below are further details and a workaround for the SharePoint 2010 October Cumulative Update issue discovered.
- SharePoint Server Package 2394320
- Project Server Package 2394322
The October Cumulative Update for the packages listed above makes some changes and updates to the user profile database. Unfortunately there are certain situations where this update does not complete as expected and leaves the update in an inconsistent state. This causes issues with several SharePoint features that use the User Profile Application such as MySites, People and Expertise Search & Ratings.
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\ISAPI\Microsoft.Office.Server.dll
- Click on Manage Service Applications
- Select User Profile Service Application by clicking on it
- At the top of the screen on the Service Applications tab, click on Manage
- On the Manage Profile Service: User Profile Service Application page, click Manage User Permissions
- On the Permissions for User Profile Service Application dialog, you will need to
- Specify the desired user accounts and click the Add button to add them to the list
- By default SharePoint 2010 RTM has these accounts
- NT Authority\authenticated users
- All Authenticated Users
- Once the user accounts are in the list, you will need to set the permissions appropriately for your environment and click OK.
Packages NOT Impacted
- SharePoint Foundation Server “Uber” Package 2394323
- SharePoint Foundation Server Package 2405789
- SharePoint Foundation Server Package 2427410
- SharePoint Foundation Server Package 2436034